Tiramisu

Earlier this week I had the best tiramisu of my life at a restaurant in Springfield called Bruno's. I've always wanted to make this dessert, but most of the recipes I've found intimidated me. Well, I think I found one! And I know Dan will have a small bite, and my Dad will eat a lot, so I thought I'd give it a try.

The recipe, from The Dinner Party Cookbook by Karen Brown, is as follows:

5 eggs, separated
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup Grand Marnier or Frangelico liqueur
1 pound mascarpone cheese
1 pound ladyfingers
1 cup brewed espresso coffee, cooled
1/2 cup brandy or cognac
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar



  1. Whip egg yolks, then cooke them with sugar in top of a double broiler until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is smooth. Stir in liqueur and continue cooking for 10 to 20 minutes, until the mixture thickens into a custard. Remove from heat and cool.

  2. In a separate bowl, whip mascarpone cheese until smooth; add to custard.

  3. Beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks; gently fold them into the custard/cheese mixture.

  4. In a 9-by-13 baking dish or trifle bowl, make a single layer of ladyfingers.

  5. Mix together coffee and brandy or cognact; drizzle half of the mixture over the ladyfingers, thn spread half of the custard/cheese mixture on top.

  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5, making another layer of remaining ladyfingers, coffee/liqueur, and custard.

  7. Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight. Slice and serve chilled.


Tip: Eggs are easier to separate when they're cold, but egg whites should be beaten at room temperature for maximum volume.

As a side note: Anybody know where to get ladyfingers?